Tuesday, December 8, 2009

advent calendar

Wow it has been a long time since I last updated our blog. My hard drive fell and broke and I lost ALL of my family's pictures for the past 4 years and unfortunately I had not been very up to date with my blog for this year's events. I was really sad about it but I'm trying to be better with updating events. What better time to start than in December?
A couple of year ago I started an advent calendar with my kids. I decided it would be fun to write goofy poems each day that gave my kids clues where they could find little gifts each day like family movies or games everyone can play or dollar gifts. It's amazing how much fun you can have with gifts that bring All of you kids together. Little did I know that my kids would like it so much. I was also unaware of how much work it would be to think of new poems everyday. Last year I was not very good about doing it every day and my kids would be sad when we would skip days.
This year I wrote myself a note on the November calendar to write the poems in advance. I didn't see the note on the calendar until the last week of November....so much for planning ahead! I thought maybe I wouldn't have to do it this year but Sam also noticed my reminder and his face lit up with excitement to read the poems. Everyday my kids ask me if I have written the poem and when can they read it. I love watching all of my kids come together every day to read their poem and search for their gift together. There are not many things that bring a 15, 10 and 4 year old together but it is awesome when you find them! The moral of the story....It's the small things that count to kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment